Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wasted Time on Jury Duty

I was on Jury Duty last week. On Monday morning, I waited for two hours before being told the trial was delayed until tomorrow. On Tuesday, the trial started and I was not chosen to be on the jury. On Thursday, I waited for two hours before being told the trial was delayed until the afternoon. In the afternoon I waited for an hour before being told that the trial was canceled for the week. I spent most of my time on Jury Duty waiting for delayed or aborted cases. Surely it is not too much to expect that pre-trial issues are sorted out before the appointed trial start time, and to hold lawyers to account when they are not.
There are clearly problems with the organization of Jury trials and the Government wants to do something about it. But limiting the right to a Jury trial would be a backward step. There have been many events which raise doubts about Judges and Police. They should not be allowed to impose significant prison sentences on people without the opportunity to be judged by a jury of their peers.
It is better management of the Court system which is required, not the watering down of long-held rights from our English legal heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment